Wednesday, April 12, 2006

jitsu

We stopped by a dojo to watch a jujitsu (jitsu, they call it) class tonight. I can tell that I'm missing jujitsu. I made a point not to bring my gi so that I could check out the club without pressure. Finding a dojo is a delicate business I think. Some dojos can be testosterone-charged venues for death sport.

Fortunately, this dojo was not one of those. The guys down an the dojo seem really friendly. They keep the fine tradition of "beer-waza" going. I'm sure if we end up here, I'll eventually fit in.

Sure enough, I was kicking myself for not bringing my gi. The club seems much more educationally focused rather than competition oriented. It also seemed like they were pretty careful on the mat to avoid critical injuries. I had been worried about death sport, but if anything, i think this club is more mild than what I'd been studying back in the sates.

This experience also really helped with the homesickness we felt today. For some reason, watching people strike, throw, and strangle each other is a comforting feeling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I'm glad the class turned out to be fun after a longish homesickish day. Your oldest niece is currently running around in just pants (ther shirt for her jammies got yogurt all over it at breakfast) and she's talking to the knight in the castle you gave her. Of course, she's mostly talking to Gordon, the express engine from the Island of Sodor. The trains now live in the castle. :) Even from afar you're a corrupting influence! Hope today is a better day!

Kiwijac said...

Hi guys and welcome home!
Am loving your blog- it's always interesting to see through fresh eyes.
You can contact me down in Dunedin at any time if you want a sympathetic ear- I'll give contact details to Heather privately though.

Dustin said...

i know the feeling

Devin said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog, guys. I hope things continue well for you. You are missed, by Kali and me both. I'm using the rice cooker tonight for the first time and attempting to poach a salmon fillet, so adventure is in the air.