Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Devonport auto show

The other day, while driving home, I was struck by a strange conglomeration of surprise and surprise at my lack of surprise. Here's a photo:


My surprise: Hey, there's a Corvette. You don't see many of those here.
My lack of surprise: Huh, (look carefully now) it's got a California licence plate.
My surprise at my lack of surprise: It's got a California license plate???

Okay, I'll admit it, we drove right by the turnoff to our house so that we could tail them. We had to get a picture. Unfortunately, my cellphone was the best we had. I was driving, and Roni didn't know how to use the camera on my phone. Sorry, this was the best picture we could get.

Anyway, upon closer inspection we realized that, not only was this a California registered Corvette, the steering wheel and driver were on the traditional American side of the vehicle. Very odd.

We thought about following them and asking them about their car and why they had it in Devonport, but we decided that would make us look too stalkerish. In retrospect, anyone who loves their car enough to ship it to New Zealand probably wouldn't have minded bragging on it to a couple of American emigrés.

Trivia:
Corvette rhymes with courgette, which is what they call zucchini here. Messed up, huh?

4 comments:

Devin said...

Confound it. I TOLD the American spy I dispatched to stalk you guys that he needed to go native.

Well, he's not writing that Corvette off as a business expense, that's all I can say.

Peter said...

Yeah, they should have at least had the sense to smear mud over the license plate. Dang public records.

Devin said...

On the other hand, that whole zucchini thing makes it clear WHY the guy chose a corvette, as it it wasn't clear enough already.

Anonymous said...

seems a long way to drive, gas prices bein' what they are...