Friday, July 20, 2007

American Pie

New Zealanders love pie-not the kind of pie that most North American continent dwellers love, though. Kiwi's have savoury pies, which are small pot-pie sized pastry shells filled with meat and gravy. Sometimes they are topped with mashed potato instead of a top pie shell in an effort to cut the calories, but it doesn't help all that much: they're still basically gravy and starch. They come in vegetarian varieties and gourmet varieties, like curried sweet potato or pumpkin and lentil, but these aren't as popular as the good 'ol beef flavor.

Pies are a well established high-calorie delight for much of the country, kind of like hot dogs are America's favourite nitrate flavoured fat log. They're everywhere: convenience stores, grocery store freezer isles, festival events, schools, and special bakeries dedicated just to pies and sausage rolls (a sausage wrapped in pastry crust). There's recently been moves to ban their sale in school cafeterias because they're so unhealthy. Judging from the vocal backlash to this law, though, I doubt it will get very far. Kiwi's have a pretty strong love for their pies. I know the boys I teach are practically up in arms about it.

I've eaten a few pies at this point, and I have to say that I'm not sure that I'll ever get over my preference for pie as a dessert item. They don't do fruit or sweet pies as frequetly here and certainly not the same kinds of pies that you come across in the States.

In an attempt to make pumpkin pie, we found that they don't have the ubiquitous canned pumpkin in grocery stores. What takes up the space at the back of these peoples' pantries? What do they give away during food drives? When we asked around no one had even heard of pumpkin pie. In fact, the typical response was, "ew, pumpkin in a can?" Many Americans have found this lack of canned pumpkin decidedly un-cool, especially around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and 4th of July times. Some have even resorted to buying cans of the stuff when they visit home and bringing them back in their luggage. We have to have the stuff, and most Kiwis don't understand that until they've had a taste of pumpkin pie.

Since the precooked stuff is nowhere to be seen we had to cook some of the fresh pumpkins sold in grocery stores. The best recipe for pumpkin pie we could find was on the Cooking for Engineers site. We then looked up instructions for how to cook fresh pumpkin, grabbed grandma's recipe for pie shell and set to it. It turned out perfectly. The easiest way I've found to cook raw pumpkin is to just gut and cut it, put the pieces on a plate in the microwave, and cook for 7.5-8 minutes per pound. Large hand sized chunks seem to be the optimal size for even cooking, one pound at a time. Don't worry about cutting off the skin. It's much easier to cut it off once it's cooked and the flesh is soft. One pound of raw pumpkin will yield just about 15 oz worth, which is the average size of a can 'o pumpkin.

We've since turned a number of Peter's Kiwi co-workers over to the Pumpkin Pie loving way of life. A Canadian co-worker of mine has mentioned that she really misses the stuff, so her and her British boyfriend are next on our hit list. Some of my other co-workers overheard us talking about it and now they've asked me to bring some in to the office. If I ever get sick of teaching I could probably make a good living at this.

To balance out the scales of cultural swapping we've taken to making our own Kiwi pies at home. We stuff them with Mexican mole or carne asada filling to make them healthier and much tastier, though. Gotta get our Mexican fix.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roni, are the pies there anything like the Butte pasties? I think I like your Amer/Mex/Kiwi pies--just from the description! Peter may not remember the Thanksgiving we had 11 international graduate students come for Thanksgiving in NY. Not one had tried any of the traditional fare--but the pumpkin pie ended up being the sure favorite! Happy pie-baking!

Roni said...

Char,

I've never had a Butte pastie. The pasties I have had have been a mix of meat, gravy and veggies. The Kiwi pies tend to be just meat and gravy sans veggies. I'll have to make it a point to stop by Butte for lunch the next time I'm driving between Missoula to Three Forks. Sounds like I'm missing out on something!

Maybe I can get Peter to post the recipe for our Mexikiwi pies; he's the creator and baker of savoury pies and pastries in our house. :)

SWE said...

Mmmmm-punkin pie. I'm the only one at our house who likes it, so maybe I can steal a plane ticket from someone come Thanksgiving time...

Your mole and carne asada pies sound heavenly-will you be posting a recipe?

Anonymous said...

I have always lived in terror that you were going to NZ as subversives. Now to my horror I learn that you you are undermining Kiwiness through pastry. Will American Imperialism never stop?

Anonymous said...

Pasties in Montana! All the real Michiganders I know swear that the only true Pasties come from the mitten state--mostly up near the fingertips. Fie upon Butte for stealing them.